Wednesday 16 August 2017

Smut Leeds 2017

I’m back – did you miss me? I’ll tell you more about my holiday next week but firstly I went to the latest Smut event which was in Leeds last Saturday.






A great day – meeting old friends and new ones – the terrific erotic tombola and fab readings (including one by my friend, Kryssie Fortune, who got enough courage to do her first ever public reading after doing one at a writing retreat at my home earlier in the year!).










Great workshops and demos from Zak Jane Keir on using dice to think through options of where your story is going and from Stephanie Robb on ropework (see pic below).



I did another of my workshops – this time it was What Author Shape Are You? I adapted one of those personality/behaviour quizzes where people were categorised by Square, Rectangle, Circle, Triangle and Squiggle, and mapped author traits to it, so, where it said organised and task oriented, I followed this up by suggesting an author might be someone who loves plotting and had lots of spreadsheets.

It was great fun. Here is a brief summary – anyone wanting to do the quiz email me (Jennifer.denys@yahoo.com) or message me on Facebook and I’ll send you the quiz so you can do it yourself.

SQUARE: PLOTTERS AND ORGANISERS
As the title says – love plotting and organizing. Very task-oriented, probably have lots of spreadsheets or lists. They follow rules to the letter.

TRIANGLE:  SPEEDERS AND LEADERS
They are fast thinkers, very goal focused. Could be the leaders within writing groups (or even Doms in the BDSM world). Hate all the admin stuff that comes with writing.

RECTANGLE: CHANGEABLE WRITERS
These are changeable people – we are all rectangle at some points in our lives and quite probably when trying to decide which book to write next! But also this shape could be those who are disheartened and give up writing most easily.

CIRCLE: PEOPLE WRITERS
Listens and communicates well but can over commit – for instance, blog posts, newsletter, tweets, all the social media, etc etc and gets very upset by what readers/reviewers say. But the best team player or co author of the five shapes.

SQUIGGLE:  PANTSERS
Hates plotting. Mind on the go all the time. Could have cutting edge ideas. Might be creative at more than just writing.


1 comment:

  1. Glad you had a good time, Smut Groupie, I really enjoyed your workshop :)

    ReplyDelete